Joan Merwyn directs professional performing artists and groups. As a component of her residency activities, she creates and mounts original, physical theater pieces with students and/or community groups (see Education). She creates and directs original material as well as scripted or musical works. Independent performing artists consult with Joan Merwyn to integrate innovative staging, movement and to improve their total performance.
New York Directorial Credits Include:
- Artistic Director / Founder, Sound Image Theater: three, full length productions
- Co-Director with Frank Corsaro and Choreographer for the Bel Canto Opera Company
- Manhattanville College: Five original productions, winning students a scholarship award
- Poly Prep Performing Arts Experience: Director of numerous musical theater works with students
- Independent Artists: baritone singer/actor Larry Picard in Concert
- Rockapella and Doo Wa Zoo: A capella singing groups (see Choreography for reviews)
Selected Work Directed by Joan Merwyn in New York City
- Sound Image Theater
Performed three, full length works and numerous short pieces at HERE Arts Center, Dixon Place, Visual Visceral Performance Festivals, Brooklyn Arts Exchange (Space Grant Award), Empire State Building. Up to ten performers.
Sound Image Theater Presents
In Cold Mod
- Manhattanville College
Directed students from the Dance/Theater Dept. and the Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) in five, full-length, physical theater pieces developed through improvisation. Up to 45 students per show.
Emergence–Self discovery, group identification, rebellion, unity
Print Fit–Current events and the news
A Matter of Choice–HIV, AIDS and at-risk behavior (video won a Scholarship Award for students)
Power–gangs, drugs, peer pressure, greed, global wars
- Poly Prep Performing Arts Experience
Middle school drama students in an intensive, musical theater, summer program
Little Shop of Horrors
Groove and Greed–story based on Beatles music
Numerous Folk Tales from Native America, China, Europe and the Caribbean